Thursday, January 15, 2009

is it falling?

you know, sometimes it just feels like the world is falling to pieces - there is a crack there, a crumble here, and avalanche over there... and I don't know where to run to catch the drips - what piece to hold back up -there is so much! darkness is spreading - under a thin mask of "normal" there is such evil and treachery - corruption - greed - pride... the list goes on, and what is scary, is that we all are a part of it. It is in us all. How do we fight it if we are in it?
isn't that the power of Jesus? the all powerful I AM came to rescue. to break through this darkness... in ways we don't always notice, or imagine... he is at work now right? the kingdom is here.
it still can feel overwhelming
I was told by a woman I met at a vigil for Gaza in the commons a few days ago, that she had heard some words of wisdom from her professor in College,

" Get it into your head that you can't fix it - you won't change the world - then the little things you do accomplish will mean something, and you won't loose heart"

In a way i can see the wisdom of that statement - if you are coming at it from the perspective that there is no ultimate hope - no victory of "good" over "evil" in the end... it is just left up to us, day by day, death happens, injustice will continue, and you help where your limited selves can help and be happy with it.
but there IS a different end to the story, if what Jesus said is true- there will be a victory of good - of holiness - of righteousness. And our 'small' efforts now are a part of bringing that about. No, I cannot hold this world together - not on my own, or with the best team of people possible - but whatever I do "for the least of these" is another piece of the new order of things

so with that, i don't have to be worried about running around to all the cracks I see - I can trust that where I am, I will do my best to patch - and who knows where that will lead - maybe a changed world.

1 comment:

Hope Fields said...

indeed it is falling...
indeed He is seeing that the new order is brought about piece by peace...
indeed we are His hands - attending to pieces in Boston, Gaza, Los Angeles, and beyond...

indeed He is Good.

Hard...

but Good.

:)